Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Becoming an agent of change

It was not long ago (in fact just December) when I decided to make great change. It's not that the thought had not occurred to me before. As a matter of fact upon graduation from my undergraduate degree, I had joined AmeriCorps to make change as well. I wanted to teach environmental education to young children and create neighborhood beautification projects and that is just what I did.

Now many years have passed. In those years I have devoted myself to gaining more specific knowledge in the field of architecture and design, gotten many pairs of shoes dirty on-site(s), my masters...oh yeah...got married and had kids as well!

And although life keeps getting busier, I still have this overwhelming pull towards bettering people's lives, and sustaining our culture. This may be by designing spaces that compliment the lives of the occupants and make life easier and just plain more enjoyable. Or by educating the public through the written word. Or by volunteering to become a public servant.

I want to thank my Tacoma/Olympia Cascadia Green Building Council Steering Committee for believing in me so much. The committee elected to use funds to support my leadership goals. And it was the Emerge Workshop the sent me to in December that helped me emerge as an agent of change.

No longer will I (just) think about change when I can make it happen.

If you are thinking of ways you would like to make a difference no matter what your cause, I urge you to sketch your goals down (even on a napkin) as once they are written, spoken or become real to you--they will become real to everyone else as well.

Thank you to my family, friends, clients and a huge thanks to my mentors (I think you know who you are) for supporting and guiding me. I have been so fortunate to make some really great strides this year already. Now the real work must begin.

I will work on the next step in my journey and of course I am here to support you in yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment